Why It Is Important
Getting to know someone is a lot more than listening to someone else talk about them, or even having a discussion about them with others. And it is the same with Jehovah. Really if you want to get to know someone, to even become their friend, you have to spend some time with them.
Jehovah has made that possible by providing the Bible, a collection of books inspired by Him. 2 Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness.” So let’s talk about the word inspired for a moment. It isn’t like the movies here. Inspired here means that God either told the person what to say or He gave the person the specific thoughts and let them use their own words. But in every case it is God’s words and thoughts.
So why important? There is nothing Jehovah doesn’t know, including what is best for us. He created us and he knows what will make us happy. So getting to know him is really beneficial. But also he deserves the attention. In one way or another He is responsible for every good thing you have. James 1:17 says, “Every good gift and every perfect present is from above, coming down from the Father of the celestial lights, who does not vary or change like the shifting shadows.” So it’s from Him, and he deserves to be thanked, worshiped and given the attention of a friend and father.
Where I Struggle
I am an up and down student/friend/child. I will do really well with my studies, and then I will slack off. But then I catch myself and get back to doing well again. We are after all imperfect humans. Right now I am at the struggle stage, which is a big point of me writing this, I have to jump back on the wagon again!
What Is the Routine?
Getting to know Jehovah is an everyday thing. There is just so much to know, so much we need to know we have to stay at it. And we forget so easily and don’t always pick up on stuff the first, second or twentieth time, we have to do it again and again.
- First and foremost is reading the Bible everyday. I just read a chapter, unless I’m on Psalm 119, then I have to break it down. Or with other chapters that are shorter I might read 2. But the point is never to just read, but to try and get something out of it. Ask yourself questions: What was this about? How could I apply it to me? Who in this reading might I want to imitate? or not imitate? Why did Jehovah put this in here? What does it tell me about Jehovah? And so on.
- I also do a daily text from our Examining the Scriptures Daily book. A short text meant to give us something to think about each day.
- Twice a week I do personal study. Once for me alone, and once as a family. Pick a topic, research it, discuss it. A great place to find topics and good research is jw.org.
- Then I prepare for my meetings each week, that is twice a week as well. How might I answer the questions in the Watchtower or Our Christian Life and Ministry workbook. And when I am there, try to participate.
- Reading the magazines. We now only release magazines once every other month. Those are only 16 pages long. So, it isn’t a big task.
- Prayer. This should happen throughout your day, everyday. Pray about everything! Give thanks, ask for what you need, ask for help, share your thoughts and feelings. Jehovah is interested! He cares!
- Last is to spend some time each day meditating on what Jehovah has given us to think about. This isn’t a time to clear your thoughts, it is a time to focus them. Pick a topic, scripture, concern, and just think about how Jehovah feels about them. Think about how Jehovah has or will teach you about them. Focus on that topic and Jehovah.
So no small task, but really it only need take up an hour throughout your day. Maybe on study days an hour and a half. If you plan well. And I promise, truly I promise, it will better your life.
Also I would encourage you to visit our meetings. Right now in many places we are no longer meeting in large groups, but if you request a visit someone will be in contact with you and if possible will help you attend a meeting. These visits may be by telephone if the corona virus has caused a need for social distancing.
Now it is time for me to jump on my spiritual work! I hope you will take some time to do the same.